Rosacea is a common skin disorder that mainly affects adults. Initially described as adult acne, rosacea can present with more than just acne-like bumps on the face.
Symptoms of rosacea can include:
- Persistent facial redness of the central face
- Red bumps or pus-bumps that may resemble acne
- Skin that is easily irritated, causing redness of the face
- Eyes that appear irritated or bloodshot
The exact cause of rosacea is unknown, though multiple factors likely contribute including abnormal inflammation, abnormal increased blood flow to facial skin, and abnormal overgrowth of skin microorganisms. There is a genetic predisposition to rosacea, as 10-20% of patients with rosacea have a family history of rosacea.
Some people with rosacea may notice increased warmth and redness of the face with certain triggers. Triggers are unique to each person, but commonly described triggers are:
- Hot drinks
- Spicy food
- Alcohol (such as wine, beer)
- Sunlight or excessive wind exposure
- Ingredients in some cosmetic products such as alcohol-containing astringents or toners, menthol, or abrasive exfoliators
Treatment for rosacea can help improve the appearance of the skin and may include gentle or prescription facial cleansers, prescription creams or lotions for the face, and/or oral anti-inflammatory antibiotics. Call Novi Dermatology today for an appointment. We are here to develop a personalized plan to treat your rosacea and improve the appearance of your skin.
44000 W. 12 Mile Road
Novi, MI 48377
Mon, Wed | 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Tues | 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Thurs | 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM
Fri | 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Sat (once a month) | 8:00 AM – 12 noon